Welcome! Glad you are here!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil,
to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 (NKJV)

Sharing resources, research, ideas, inspiring scripture, success stories and even failures...

Monday, April 22, 2013

Excellent article about the upcoming changes to the DSM-5

Hello everyone-
This past week has been a surreal "Twilight Zone" experience in the state of Massachusetts. I will write something more poetic about that later... Today I was reading the weekly newsletter from the Autism Support Network and saw an extremely well written and informational article written by Michelle Garcia Winner, creator of the Social Thinking curriculum (click here for more details on Social Thinking).

You see, as my little guy gets older and his language has started to explode, I am seeing more of an Asperger's Syndrome profile than high functioning autism or PDD-NOS. I don't bother telling people that, since soon none of that will matter... We will now have one large umbrella for Autism Spectrum Disorders with various degrees of impairments. So, does it really matter whether I say my son has high functioning ASD, PDD-NOS or Asperger's Syndrome? THAT is exactly what this article is about. I highly recommend that you read it and learn about the upcoming changes and what they may mean for you and your family or loved ones with ASD.

http://www.autismsupportnetwork.com/news/proposed-dsm-5-changes-regard-asd-3478294

In the meantime, my little guy will just be my little guy. He has been struggling with behavior regulation lately and it makes us stop and think.

I will quote something I wrote to a friend in an email:
We are so worried about "his level of aggressions and his explosive outbursts. He is getting bigger and stronger and we can't let this continue. The worst part is that afterwards he feels SO guilty that he will cry until he either throws up or passes out asleep. It is absolutely heartbreaking! Every day I wait for the phone call from school.
It is really hard to explain to people that we are considering medication for our 5-year-old, but both my husband and I lie awake at night worrying about Nathan seriously harming himself or others... and the consequences of that. Nathan is so incredibly kind, sweet, loving and smart but the rest of the world doesn't see that side because of his sensory and behavioral difficulties. Unfortunately, we can't keep him home in a comfy bubble his whole life. We have to help him be able to function and be a active member of society-- showing others at least a little bit of who he really is and what he can really do. But he needs help to do that and we welcome any/all of your prayers for him/us."

Today in my devotional, I found Joshua 1:9, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." I often read this passage to my little guy, reminding him that God is with him and that he can ask God for help in any situation. We welcome all of your thoughts and prayers.

Blessings!
DC

No comments:

Post a Comment